By the Numbers
Ten players are set up inside of the large grid. During play, the ten players pass three balls around the field in sequence, with Player 1 passing to Player 2, Player 2 passing to Player 3 and so on, until the ball reaches Player 10. Player 10 then passes to Player 1, and the cycle continues. The conditions of the drill may vary during play (see Progressions), and the direction of play can be reversed at any time.
1. Players should make eye contact and talk on every pass.
2. Players looking to receive should not get lost in a crowd (aka ‘hiding in dead space’).
3. Stay connected to the player you are passing to and receiving from.
1. Two touch limit.
2. Limit certain players to one touch.
5v5 Plus Two, #1
There are twelve players set up on a long, narrow field, playing 5v5 plus two. During play, the two teams try to score in the three small goals set at each end of the field. When a goal is scored, the attacking team keeps the ball and reverses direction. The Feeder re-starts the game on goals and on balls put out of play, and games are played to three goals. New players rotate into the neutral positions with each new game.
1. Use the entire length of the field and look to play long passes in behind the defense.
2. Anticipate changes of possession in order to get a quick transition.
3. Change the point of the attack away from the crowded areas of the field.
1. Play 5v5 or 6v6 plus one.
8v8, Small Goals
There are 18 players set up on a large field, with two goalkeepers. The two teams play 8v8, and can score in any of the five small goals. They can also try to score in the large triangle goal in the center of the field, covered by two goalkeepers. Games are played to eleven, and the scoring conditions can vary (see Progressions). Balls put out of play are re-started by the Feeder.
1. When a goal closes down, turn away from the crowded area and switch fields.
2. Move to positions away from the ball and look to receive long passes in space.
3. Play one and two touch soccer, moving the ball faster than the defenders
1. Pass thru the goal to score.
2. Dribble thru the goal to score.
8v8 Plus Two Game
20 players are set up on a full field, playing 8v8 plus two. The two teams play for twenty minutes with no conditions. After the attacking team scores, they keep possession of the ball and attack in the other direction. When a goal is scored or the ball is put out of play, the GKs re-start play with a pass to the attacking team.
1. Force the play into a sideline or into defensive help.
2. Cover the most dangerous players first.
3. Step up when the attackers play the ball backwards.
1. The neutral players must stay inside of a flank zone with a one touch limit.
9v9 Full Width, Free Play
Play 9 v 9 with GKs on a full field, using the full width. Use the 18 yard line as the end lines for the field. Both teams play a 3-3-3, or whatever the coach decides to play. This is free play with no stoppages for coaching. Balls put out of play are re-started by the GKs.