U8 Practice Plan - Pressuring Defender
This practice focuses on defending. Work with player on how and when to pressure when playing defense. This is a 1 hour practice session and the outline is as follows:
- 20 x 10 2 vs 2 small sided game (10 minutes)
- Get your own ball (15 minutes)
- 1 vs 1 to single goal (15 minutes)
- 31 x 20 4 vs 4 scrimmage (15 minutes)
End of Practice Discussion
- What is the role of the pressuring defender? (the slow down the attack so teammate can get back to help).
- When should the pressuring defender try and tackle the ball? (when the attacker makes a bad touch).
- How quickly should the pressuring defender approach the attacker? (Quick! However, we want to slow down with quick choppier step as we get closer so we don’t run by them!)
- How can a defender make play predictable? (by angling body to try and force attacker one way or the other).