U8 Practice Session - Finishing and Shooting
This practice plan focuses on shooting fundamentals. It offers an opportunity to discuss how and when to shoot, power vs placement, and what part of the foot to use. The drills include:
- 20 x 10 2 vs 2 Scrimmage (10 minutes)
- Goal to Goal (15 minutes)
- 1 vs 1 Turn and Shoot (15 minutes)
- 4 vs 4 Scrimmage (15 minutes)
End of Practice Discussion
- How is the shape of our foot different if using the inside of our foot to pass, vs. the instep (laces) to pass/shoot? (toe up, heel down for inside of foot, and toe down, heel up for instep). Show the players.
- What does the coach mean when talking about placement vs. power? (we don’t always want to blast the ball into the net. Inside of the foot is more accurate, and sometimes we just need to pass the ball into the goal).
- When should you look to shoot? (whenever you see an opportunity to! Always be looking to see if you can score).