U6 Practice Plan - Ball Familiarity
This practice is designed for players under 6 years of age. The concepts of this session involve having players get more familiar with the ball by working on big vs little touches and how to use peripheral vision while dribbling the ball. The outline for this practice includes:
- 20 x 10 2 vs. 2 Scrimmage (10 minutes)
- Back to Coach (10 minutes)
- Crocs in the River (10 minutes)
- Freeze Tag (10 minutes)
- 4 vs. 4 scrimmage (20 minutes)
End of Practice Discussion
Bring your players in for the last five minutes of practice and recap your session using open-ended questions:
- When should we use little touches vs. big touches? (little touches in tight spaces and big touches in space so we can build up speed faster).
- What should we do with our head/eyes when dribbling? (use peripheral vision so we can see what’s around us, while still seeing the ball at the same time).