U14 Practice Plan - Building Out of the Back
This practice plan works on the shape of the backline and strategies for moving forward with possession. As a coach you can talk about why and how to move the ball backwards in order to keep posession. Players should start to understand when and how to move forward and know the options they have to play backwards. The drills for this practice include:
- 4 vs 4 Scrimmage
- 4 vs 4 +1 to 6 Goals
- 7 vs 6 One Goal with Counters
- 7 vs 7 Scrimmage
End of Practice Discussion
Bring players together to talk about the shape of the backline when we try to build out of the back. Use cones to help illustrate as needed.
- Why do we need options to play backwards when playing out of back? (for safety and to keep possession).
- Who is always behind us that we can pass to when in trouble? (our goalkeeper! Goalkeeper must be active as a last option to keep possession).
- When should we look to go forward? (always! Our first look is always to go forward (ex: center mids).
- When should we not try and force the ball into our #6 or #8? (When pressure is too tight on them).
- What are the roles of the #2 and #3 when playing out of the back? (Get wide and advanced. Open body when receiving ball, and look for options to play forward)