Goalkeeping – Dealing with the Breakaway
A U12 & U14+ Practice Session for Goalkeeping focuses on the breakaway. The session gives goalkeepers activities to practice closing space, setting your feet and body posture. The session outline is:
- Goalkeeping Technical Work
- Close The Space
- Breakaway Save
- Breakaway Scrimmage 8 vs. 8
End of practice questions:
- Why is it important to close space between you and the attacker quickly? (So the attacker can’t see as much of the goal).
- Why do you want to set your feet if the attacker looks like they are going to shoot (so you are more agile, and can dive laterally as needed).
- When ‘setting,’ how should the goalkeepers posture be? (hands out, body weight forward, weight on the balls of feet).
- When should the goalkeeper try a breakaway dive? (When the attacker takes a bad touch, or tries to dribble around the goalkeeper).