- Play 5v5 on a 40x20yd field. Divide field in half with cones. All normal soccer rules apply.
- Encourage defending team to try and win the ball in the opponent’s half of the field. If they win the ball in opponent’s half, and score a goal after that, the goal is worth three points instead of one.
- If ball is one in own defending half, and a goal is then scored, goal is worth one.
- Encourage players to pressure the ball early on the field to cause the other team to make mistakes.
- Players who aren’t immediately pressuring the ball need to move up field to conpact the space behind the pressuring defender.
- Make sure players don’t “stab” into challenges. Get attacker’s head down is the main priority of 1v1 defending. If (when) the attacker makes a mistake, then try to win the ball.