- Play 4v4 in a 30x20 yard field. Normal rules for soccer.
- Add two “gates” (3 yards wide) on either side of the halfway line.
- Teams can score a goal if they pass or dribble through either gate, and continue to try and score on the central goal (possibly meaning they get two goals if the dribble through the outside and then score on the center goal!)
- Players can still score on the central goal without going through the wide gates first.
- Encourage players to get their head up and look around before they receive the ball. If the width on the field is open, look to attack it!
- Encourage players off the ball to move into space on the field where they could be dangerous when they get the ball. Applaud players who are looking around for space.
- Be positive. Learning to spread out is difficult for young players, so be positive, and get excited when you see players doing it.