- Split team into two groups. One has balls, and one doesn’t.
- The group with the balls spread out around outside of circle with the balls at their feet
- Player without balls stand in center grid
- When coach says go, players in middle run to a player on the outside and complete a 1-touch pass. They then have to run through center grid before going to someone else.
- Give players a point for each time they get through center grid. Switch inside/outside people after 30 seconds and repeat. Who can get the most points?
- Progression: Have players pick up ball on outside and underhand throw to players checking to them, who complete one of the following before passing back:
- bring down off chest with 1st touch, and pass back on ground with 2nd touch.
- Bring down ball off thigh with 1st touch, and pass back on ground with 2nd touch.
- Bring down ball with inside of foot out of the air with 1st touch, and back on the ground with 2nd touch.
- Bring down ball with outside of foot out of the air with 1st touch, and back on the ground with 2nd touch.
- Progress to straight volleys using inside or instep (laces) of feet back to the thrower’s chest.
- Talk about the different surfaces of the body. Important to try and get ball on ground as quick as possible by getting over the ball as it comes in contact with your body.
- Try not to lean backwards when bringing ball out of air (unless using your chest). In most cases, leaning backwards put you off balances, and will cause the ball to bounce off you and stright back up into the air. Leaning over the ball as you receive it will keep you in balance, while redirecting the ball to the ground.
- Try to play the ball back with your 2nd touch as quick as you can!