This formation is a diamond 3-4-1 formation for 9 vs 9 soccer games. The pros and cons of this formation are listed below:
- Excellent formations for transitioning into a 4-5-1 at 11v11.
- Provides good defensive support with #7 and #11 playing in the midfield, and #6 playing just in front of the back-line.
- Provides good numbers in the midfield to break up opponent’s attacks.
- Excellent formation for teaching how to play out of the back.
- #7, #11, #2 and #3 need to be aggressive with getting forward to provide width in the attack.
- If team is not fast enough to transition into the attack, #9 will be alone with the ball and unlikely to score.
- Highly defensive formation. Needs quick and mobile players in order to be effective in attack.