This diagram shows the 4-4-2 Flat midfield formation for 11 vs 11 soccer games. Here are the advantages and disadvantages:
- Classic formation providing good defensive shape, and good options in the attack.
- If #7 and #11 are quick getting into the attack, this formation provides excellent width.
- Good formation for playing out of the back.
- #9 and #10 have the ability to play off each other to attack in the opponents final 3rd of the field.
- #7, #11, #2, #3 have to be aggressive getting forward to provide width in the attack.
- #6 and #8 need to understand pressure/cover so they don’t get caught “flat” on the field. One player needs to play slightly deeper than the other to provide depth while defending.