- If half field unavailable, use as much space as you can. The team you are coaching is defending the big goal, and is trying to score on the two small goals (3yds wide)
- Formation for black team: 1-4-2 (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8). Formation for red team: 4-2 (#7, #8, #9, #10, #7, #11). Adjust as numbers allow.
- Ball starts with coach on halfway line and played to either GK or one of the black players who try and score on small goals. If ball is lost, red team attacks large goal.
- Normal rules (including corners, goalkicks, throw-ins). If goal is scored, game restarts with coach.
- Encourage the GK to play short to defenders instead of punting the ball.
- Talk about shape of defenders when they have possession. We want options behind, wide and in front of the ball to play.
- Anticipation from backline. Once a defender has the ball, can the other defenders recognize the movements they need to make to create space, and do it fast?
- Movement of center mids. Can they provide an option to play forward?
- What are the visual cues of playing into the center midfielders when building out of the back? Make sure the #6 or #8 have time and space to turn. If space is too tight in midfield, then play wide or look to bypass midfield line altogether.